Lug Nuts Are Important
Lug nuts hold the tire tightly into the wheel. You may need to loosen the lug nuts to take off the tire. If you want to fix a puncture or you want to rotate the tire or balancing your tire. You’ll need to loosen the lug nuts of the tire. In this article, we’ll learn how to loosen the lug nuts. We’ll also tell you how to loosen the rusted lug nuts on a tire.
If Tires Are Not Rusted
If you want to loosen the lug nuts of the tire. You’ll need to follow the following steps:
- Park your car on flat, smooth, and even surface. Make sure that you’ve applied your parking brakes.
- Now, if your car wheels have hubcap, remove it, and locate the lugs.
- Take lug wrench and fix it in the lugs.
- Use the wrench to loosen the lug nuts while the car is parked. Don’t use the jack to lift the vehicle.
- Fix lug wrench into the lug nuts. Rotate the wrench anti-clockwise to loosen the nut.
- Loosen all the nuts. Now use a jack to lift the car and take off the nuts with your fingers.
Procedure To Loosen The Rusted Lug Nuts On Your Tire
Rusted lug nuts can become hard loosen and take off. To loosen the rusted lug nuts you’ll need:
- Lug wrench
- Breaker arm for extra leverage
- Anti-corrosion fluid (WD-40)
- Hammer (optional)
Follow the following steps to loosen the rusted lug nuts:
- Park your car on smooth and even surface. Make sure to apply the parking or hand brake.
- Locate the rusted lug nuts.
- Apply anti-rust fluid on the nut and let the fluid soak into the nut. Leave the nut for a couple of hours before loosening the nuts.
- Fix the lug wrench into the nut and attach breaker arm. Breaker arm will give you additional leverage to loosen the nut.
- With the help of your foot, loosen the lug nuts.
- Rotate the wrench anti-clockwise to loosen the lug nuts. Use a jack to the lift the car once the nuts are off.
- You can also use a hammer if nuts are not coming off. Fix the wrench in the nuts and hit the wrench with a hammer. It will loosen the nuts.
- Use anti-rust fluid to clean the rust and make sure to lubricate the nuts. Lubrication will not let the rust to accumulate.
What if One or Two Lug Nuts Are Missing?
Lug nuts hold tire and wheel securely in place. If you are missing lug nuts, your car will wobble. It happens because all the lug nuts evenly take the pressure. If you’re missing the lug nuts, the pressure distribution will become uneven.
Uneven distribution of pressure will make vehicle wobble. The vehicle will start shaking. It is dangerous to drive a car with missing lug nuts. You may end up in an accident because of lug nuts. It is even more dangerous than driving on flat tires. By what means far you can drive on flat tires also depends on your driving skills.
Missing lug nuts can also damage your tire and can promote uneven tread wear. It’s best to get the lug nuts before it’s too late.
Our family has been in tires business from a long. I know all good and bad about tires. I would love to contribute my knowledge about tires, about all new tires coming to our stores.